Visits to the doctor

Recently, I came down with a stomach bug and had to go to the doctor. I'm alright now, but when I needed medical care, it was really easy to get, especially with the help of Pedro and my host-mom.

Pedro took me to my first doctor's appointment, and after a simple test, they prescribed me a mountain of medicine, which I was able to buy several minutes later in the same building, for way cheaper than in the U.S.

Fast forward two days, and I have been feeling better, but I seemed to be having a different problem, so I went to the doctor again. This time my host-mom took me. We had to go to a different doctor than my first visit because it was Saturday, and very few doctors were seeing patients, but luckily for me, the doctor we went to was close by and only had one patient ahead of me. My host mom took a picture of me waiting in the office:



I made sure to bring my Spanish-English dictionary because Pedro wasn't there to help me and my Spanish concerning medical terms is basically non-existent. I ended up only needing it twice, because my host-mom was able to relay what I had told her earlier.

When I went in to see the doctor, she asked me what medicine I was taking and told me to stop taking two of the medicines I had been prescribed. She then had me make an appointment with her for the next day, where they ran some tests and told me that once I finished my medicine that I was still taking, I should be good to go.

Overall, both visits were really easy, which was especially nice considering how daunting getting medical care in a foreign country and in a foreign language can feel. The last visit was also close to a fruit-juice stand, where my host-mom bought me a freshly squeezed orange juice.

It made me feel like a kid getting a lollypop after getting vaccinated. It was great.

Comments